Vehicle Information and Communication System ( VICS ) is a technology used in Japan for delivering traffic and travel information to road vehicle drivers.
It can be compared with the European TMC technology.
It can be transmitted using:
- Microwaves in the ISM band .
- FM , similar to Radio Data System (RDS) or Data Radio Channel (DARC).
It is an application of ITS .
The VICS information can be displayed on the car navigation unit at 3 levels:
- Level-1: Simple text data
- Level-2: In form of simple diagrams
- Level-3: Data superimposed on the map displayed on navigation unit (eg, traffic congestion data)
Information transmitted includes traffic congestion data, data on service areas (SA) and parking areas (PA), information on road works and traffic collisions .
Some advanced navigation units might use this data for route calculation (eg, choosing a route to avoid congestion) or the driver might use his own discretion while using this information.