A student information system ( SIS ), student management system , school administration software or student administration system is a management information system for education establishments to manage student data. Student Information Systems Provide capabilities for Registering students in races Documenting grading , transcripts , results of student testing and other assessment scores , building student schedules, tracking student attendance, and managing Many other student-related data needs in a school.
The SIS can include features That can be regarded as an enterprise resource planning or ERP system for a corporate customer. As such, ERP system selection methodology , implementation, and operation of an ERP system apply too.
These systems vary in size, scope and capability, from which they are implemented in relatively small organizations to cover student records, large scale multi-campus organizations and their online schools with significant local responsibility. Many systems can be scaled to different levels of functionality by purchasing add-on “modules” and can typically be configured by their home institutions to meet local needs.
Since the millennium, and partly owing to ” Y2K “, which concerned birth dates and other data core to any ERP, the majority of SIS vendors took the opportunity to design their Processes in relation to a student’s lifecycle. From application and Financial Aid, to career services and online education, some of the dominant SIS vendors may include in their products:
- Maintenance and reporting of student data
- Handling inquiries from prospective students
- Handling the admissions process
- Enrolling new students and enabling online scheduling
- Student accounts and financial aid processing (see student financial aid )
- Automatically creating class and teacher schedules
- Handling records of examinations, assessments, marks, grades and academic progression
- Maintaining records of absences and attendance
- Recording communications with students
- Maintaining discipline records
- Providing statistical reports
- Capabilities to operate multiple campuses, online and on-ground, in multiple countries and languages
- Housing, dorms and facilities details, assignments and tasks
- Communicating student to a student
- Special Education / Individual Education Plan (IEP) services
- Career and career development
- Human resources services [ citation needed ]
- Accounting and budgeting services [ citation needed ]
- Student health records
- Canteen Management [ citation needed ]
- Transportation Management
- Fees Management
- Inventory and Assets of the school
- Payroll processing for the Staff in the school [ citation needed ]
- Regulatory reporting and reporting for accrediting bodies
Larger or more complex institutions typically require custom configuration or coding of SIS, to fit their specific business processes, student services model or academic policies. Often, these customizations can involve scholarships, grants and other forms of Student financial aid . This article is a preview generated by EVS Page 6 of 6 Page 5 SIS vendors to help meet regulatory and policy changes. Examples are the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) processes in the United States, the United States Student Loans Company processes (SSAR, SSAC and ATFEE file processing) The UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) in the United Kingdom, or the HESA and HESES . In the United States, governmental bodies and accreditors have challenged some institutions to be increasingly accountable for a student’s financial as well as academic outcomes, commonly termed, gainful employment .
In the past, universities and large school districts in particular have created their own bespoke student record systems. One such example is the Repository of Student Information (ROSI) at University of Toronto . With growing complexity in the business of educational establishments, most organizations now choose to buy customizable software, and increasing numbers are buying software as a service (SAAS). Most of the time, the students are able to use a computer-based computer to communicate with each other. Goal student information systems-have-been moving to the web since the late 1990s and That trend is accelerating as institutions replace older systems upgrade gold.
As SIS options, information security has risen to a surface as a concern. Universities in the United States of America, the United States of America, the United States of America, the United States of America and the United States of America.  Education-technology software vendors should be acutely aware of the best practices in securing student information (including social insurance information, financial information, etc.) and institutions have a responsibility to seek out vendors who employ best-in-class security measures. 
That said, the predominant issues in today’s postsecondary education sector center on enrollment management, student services and retention, and student academic outcomes. Selecting a SIS is a method that allows the SIS to be able to achieve the most efficient achievement of their institution’s vision for educational delivery. 
Upgrade or replace: pros and cons
Understanding the role of the company in the development of the company’s operations. These systems typically touch every aspect of school operations even when the base modules are used. For these reasons, campus leaders are the only ones to be able to make the most of the SIS altogether:
- Workflow : Since these programs are tightly tied to a school’s workflow and processes, the SIS is often at the center of internal debates to upgrading or replacing the SIS. Either way, changes to a SIS can have a significant impact on daily operations.
- Data conversion : Data conversion of historical data (transcripts, attendance, health records, etc.) for both current and past students. Since most schools are required to keep historical data on past students, considerations should be given to what information will be converted and what will be archived.
- Customized Reports: The Standardization of How and Where SIS vendors’ products. Over time, schools develop their own processes and procedures, often designed around their SIS’s particular strengths or weaknesses (eg the layout of their SIS data). As most SISs are not perfectly compatible with the previous SIS, upgrading can be a long and tedious process. However, institutions justify the return on investment in administrative efficiency, reduced costs of owning a SIS and related systems, and academic effectiveness.
- Training : SIS programs, old and new, do vary in terms of the kinds of functionality, workflows, reporting capabilities and so on. Upgrading or implementing a new SIS; This is a fact of life.
As with an ERP system, the ERP System Selection Methodology is used when selecting a SIS system. Such a process, while it may be tedious, ensures that a cross-section of future end-users of the system can suggest more efficient ways to handle data, enhance services to students and reduce or eliminate bottlenecks Limitations of a current SIS or business process.
All three of the public universities in Arizona ( Arizona State University ,  Northern Arizona University ,  and University of Arizona  ) including the Maricopa Community Colleges  District, uses solutions from Oracle , qui are legacy That products-have-been updated since Originally designed by PeopleSoft qui Was later Acquired by Oracle. Oracle PeopleSoft modules. Oracle PeopleSoft modules.
In a study involving districts, 48% of teachers had difficulty posing questions prompted by data, 36% incorrectly interpreted data.  To combat this, some SISs to the educators in an over-the-counter data format (to embedding labels, supplemental documentation, and help Analyzes when using an SIS. 
Open source systems
There exist SIS systems that release their base code as open source. Do not be afraid that you will not be able to do it. So they can release their source code in a “community edition” with basic support forum, and then a support version with more support and features. Also note, these are SIS systems where you can download the source code as well as the install files (either right from the website or after signing up), as opposed to just the install file.
- Education Management Information System
- Automate the Schools
- Jump up^ Natalie Gagliordi, “BitSight, ZDNet, August 21, 2014. Accessed athttp://www.zdnet.com/us-universities-at-greater- risk-for-security-Breaches-than-retail-and-healthcare-bitsight-7000032843 /
- Jump up^ Gary Langsdale, “What It Takes to Keep Student Information Safe in the Digital Age,” The EvoLLution, October 2, 2014. Accessed athttp://www.evolllution.com/opinions/audio-takes-student-information -safe-digital-age /
- Jump up^ “We Built, We Bought, We Shared: The Costs of Administrative Service Systems vs. the Academic Mission (EDUCAUSE Review) EDUCAUSE.edu” . Www.educause.edu . Retrieved 2015-06-02 .
- Jump up^ https://www.asu.edu/oasis/Version2/
- Jump up^ http://nau.edu/its/learn/louie/
- Jump up^ http://mosaic.arizona.edu/student_admin/oa
- Jump up^ https://www.maricopa.edu/erp/student-information-system-sis-modernization/sis-key-events-and-timeline
- Jump up^ US Department of Education Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development (2009). Implementing data-informed decision making in schools: Teacher access, supports and use. United States Department of Education (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED504191)
- Jump up^ Rankin, J. (2013, March 28). How epidemic and how educator leaders can help. (TICAL) School Leadership Summit.