A retention schedule is a list of organizational information types or series of information in a Manner qui Facilitates the understanding and implementation of the APPROBATION and approved retention period , and other information retention aspects.
Retention schedules are an important aspect of records management . Many organizations are subject to rules and regulations (at the local, state or federal level) that govern for how long they are required to keep records before they can safely dispose of them. Holding on records for longer than required can expose the organization to unnecessary liability, since such records are discoverable during lawsuits.
- Record / series title (name)
- Description of information within record / series
- Approved retention period
- Appropriate security requirements
- Appropriate destruction method
Further items for schedule consideration
- Location of retention
- Date record type / series approved
- Responsible group / office / person (s) of record
- Remarks related to record / series
- Series number applied to a specific record