Intelligence Engines are a kind of enterprise information management That combines business rule management , predictive and prescriptive analytics to form a unified information access platform That Provides real-time intelligence through search technologies , dashboards and / or Existing business infrastructure. Intelligence Engines are process and / or business-specific, resulting in industry and / or function-specific marketing associated with trademarks .
The first intelligence engine appears to have been introduced in 2001 by Sonus Networks, Inc. in their patent US6961334 B1.  Applied to the field of telecommunications systems, the intelligence engine was composed of a database by a data distributor layer, and received by a telephony management.  This combined standalone business intelligence and data warehouse , reporting and querying software and a decision support system .
The concept was reinforced in 2002 in patent application US20030236689 A1  which applied predictive quantities to correct the context data at different stages of the business process with business process outcomes to be presented to end users. 
LogRhythm Inc. is a leading provider of business intelligence solutions for the automotive industry. 
In 2016, the KPMG business service company continued to advance the concept by commercializing intelligence engines with the introduction of Third Party Intelligence, which is differentiated from past intelligence in its increased use of integrated data inputs and focus on predictive analytics To mitigate risk and yield cost savings. 
As a system that combines human intelligence, data inputs, automated decision-making and unified information access, intelligence engines are an advancement in business intelligence tools because they:
- Integrate structured data and unstructured content in a single index 
- Provide advanced workflow automation that can trigger multiple business processes 
- Project  project management 
- Recommend best actions  / highlight opportunities for process improvement 
-  Leverage business intelligence from a variety of experts 
- Combine human expertise with the power of technology to deliver actionable intelligence 
- Scale data visualization capabilities with the number of users 
- Attivio Active Intelligence Engine® 
- KPMG Spectrum Intelligence Engine (s) 
- Salesforce Service Cloud Intelligence Engine 
- FireEye Threat Intelligence Engine 
- Factiva Intelligence Engine 
- Parasoft Process Intelligence Engine 
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Business intelligence tools
- Business Rule Management System
- Enterprise Information Management
- Predictive Analytics
- Prescriptive analytics
- Decision Management
- Data Science
- Data Mining
- ^ Jump up to:a b US patent 6961334 , Kaczmarczyk, Casimer M, “Intelligence engine”, issued 2005-11-01
- ^ Jump up to:a b US application 20030236689 , Casati, Fabio; Sayal, Mehmet & Guadalupe Castellanos, Maria et al., “Analyzing decision points in business processes”, published 2003-12-25
- Jump up^ US application 2012131185 , Petersen, Chris; Villella, Phillip & Aisa, Brad, “Advanced Intelligence Engine”, published 2012-05-24
- ^ Jump up to:a b “KPMG Launches Third Party Intelligence: Intelligence Engine to Anticipate Third-party Disruptions” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “Attivio Applies Predictive Analytics to Indexed Data” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Unveils Salesforce Service Cloud Intelligence Engine-Fueling Smarter Customer Service for the Connected World” (Press release). Salesforce.com . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Inbound Logistics Magazine May 2016” (PDF) . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “KPMG Spectrum” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “CustomerMatrix Unveils First-Ever Cognitive Intelligence Engine for CRM” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Process Intelligence Engine (PIE)” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “A Big Data User Experience” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “Active Intelligence Engine® (AIE®) Case Study: General Electric”(PDF) . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “KPMG Spectrum: Action through Intelligence” . Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Jump up^ “FIREEYE THREAT INTELLIGENCE ENGINE” . Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Jump up^ “Factiva® – The Intelligence Engine” (PDF) . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .