Information architecture ( IA ) is the structural design of shared information environments; The art and science of organizing and labeling websites , intranets , online communitiesand software to support usability and findability; And an emerging community of practice focused on bringing the principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape. Typically, it Involves a model or concept of Information That Is used and applied to activities qui require explicit details of complex information systems .
Information architecture is considered to have been found by Richard Saul Wurman .  Today there is a growing network of active IA specialists who constitute the Information Architecture Institute . 
Information architecture has somewhat different meanings in different branches of information systems or information technology :
- The structural design of shared information environments.  : 4
- The art and science of organizing and labeling web sites, intranets, online communities, and software to support findability and usability .  
- An emerging community of practice focused on bringing the principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape.  : 4 
- The combination of organization, labeling, search and navigation systems within websites and intranets.  : 4
- Extracting requirements / data of Engineering Designs in the process of creating a knowledge-base linking different systems and standards.
- A blueprint and navigational aid to the content of information-rich systems. 
- A subset of data architecture, which is used to construct and construct a model of a machine.
- The practice of organizing the information / content / functionality of a web site so that it presents the best user experience it can, with information and services being easily usable and findable. 
The definition of “information architecture” arises partly from the term’s existence in multiple fields. In the field of systems design , for example, information architecture is a component of enterprise architecture .
While the definition of information architecture is relatively well-established in the field of systems design, it is much more debatable within the context of online information systems (ie, websites). Andrew Dillon refers to the “big IA-little IA debate”.  In the little IA view, information architecture is essentially the application of information science to web design which considers, for example, issues of classification and information retrieval. In the big IA view, information architecture involves more than just the organization of a website; aussi it factors in user experience , thereby Considering usability issues of information design .
About the term information architect Richard Saul Wurman wrote: “I mean architect as used in the words architect of foreign policy . , Or idea, or policy because it is clear. ” 
Notable people in information architecture
- Richard Saul Wurman
- Peter Morville
- Louis Rosenfeld
- Jorge Arango
- Jesse James Garrett
- Adam Greenfield
- Peter Merholz
- Eric Reiss
- Donna Spencer
- Thomas Vander Wal
- Christina Wodtke
- Abby Covert
- Andrew Hinton
- Dan Klyn
- Andrea Resmini
- David Weinberger
- Robert Stocklin
- Applications architecture
- Card sorting
- Chief experience officer
- Content management
- Content strategy
- Controlled vocabulary
- Data management
- Data presentation architecture
- Digital humanities
- Ecological interface design
- Enterprise information security architecture
- Faceted classification
- Human factors and ergonomics
- Interaction design
- Process architecture
- Site map
- Social information architecture
- Tree testing
- User experience design
- Visualization (graphics) § Knowledge visualization
- Web graph
- Web literacy (Infrastructure)
- ^ Jump up to:a b “What is AI?” ( PDF ) . Information Architecture Institute .
- Jump up^ “Richard Saul Wurman awarded for Lifetime Achievement” . Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum . Retrieved 19 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Join the IA Network” . Information Architecture Institute.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Morville & Rosenfeld 2007 .
- Jump up^ Morville & Rosenfeld (2007). p. 4. “The art and science of shaping information products and experience to support usability and findability.”
- Jump up^ Resmini, A. & Rosati, L. (2012). A Brief History of Information Architecture. Journal of Information Architecture. Flight. 3, No. 2. [Available athttp://journalofia.org/volume3/issue2/03-resmini/]. Originally published in Resmini, A. & Rosati L. (2011). Pervasive Information Architecture. Morgan Kauffman. (Edited by the authors).
- Jump up^ Toms, Elaine (May 17, 2012). “Information interaction: Providing a framework for information architecture”. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology . 53 (10.1002 / asi.10094).
- Jump up^ “Information Architecture” . Mozilla Developer Network.
- Jump up^ Dillon, A (2002). “Information Architecture in JASIST”. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology . 53 (10): 821-23. Doi : 10.1002 / asi.10090 .
- Jump up^ Wurman, “Introduction”, in:Information Architects(1997). p. 16.