Electronic Document and records management system ( EDRMS ) is a kind of content management system and Refers to the combined technologies of the document management and records management systems as an integrated system.
[ Hide ]
- 1The aim of electronic document and records management
- 2EDRMS software
- 3Associated technologies
- 4Professional organizations
The aim of electronic document and records management
Electronic Document and Records Management AIMS to enable organisms to manage the documents and records Throughout The paper life-cycle , from establishment to destruction.
Typically, systems consider a work-in-progress until it has undergone review, approval, lock-down , and (potentially) publication, where it will wait to be used. The version of the form that is saved containing the content will become a formal record within the organization.
Once a document achieves the status of a record, the organization may apply best-practice or legally enforced retention policies which state the second half of the record . This typically involves retention (and protection from change), until some events occur which relate to the record and which trigger the final disposition to apply to the record. Eventually, typically at a set time after these events, the record undergoes destruction .
A range of software vendors offer all of these systems at an enterprise level.
These vendors have historically provided electronic records management systems and have small records management system companies. The seamlessness of the integration and the original intention of the records-management to manage electronic records typically sets the complexity of deploying and potentially of the final system.
- Business process management (BPM)
- Enterprise content management (ECM)
- Web content management (WCM)
- Case management and matter management
Professional organizations for documents and records include:
- Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM)
- Association of Records Managers and Administrators (ARMA International)
- Business Forms Management Association (BFMA)
- Records Management Society (RMS)
- Records and Information Management Professionals Australasia (RIMPA)
- Nuclear Information & Records Management Association (NIRMA)