A digital ecosystem is a distributed , adaptive, open socio-technical system with properties of self-organization , scalability and sustainability inspired from natural ecosystems . Digital ecosystem models are presented by knowledge of natural ecosystems, especially for aspects related to competition and collaboration among diverse entities.     The term is used in the computer industry ,  the entertainment industry ,  and the World Economic Forum . 
Digital Business Ecosystem
The metaphor of Digital Business Ecosystem Was Proposed to describe a self-organizing business community That relied on Information Technology (IT) to accomplish achieve the objective set for the European Union at the Lisbon Council l Also Known As Lisbon Strategy : Higher growth, more and more Social inclusion and social inclusion.
The SMEs and local innovation systems.
A Digital Business Ecosystems (DBE), and a Network (DBE), a large-scale Integrated Project ( FP6) Of Excellence called Open Philosophies for Association Autopoietic Digital Ecosystems (OPAALS). All projects of this initial wave focused on new models and technologies for fostering a Digital Business Ecosystem in Europe. The European Commission’s CIP and the Regions for Economic Change work programs. Today, the vision of Digital Business Ecosystems has become mature,
The concept of Digital Business Ecosystem was put forward in 2002 by a group of European researchers and practitioners, including Francesco Nachira, Paolo Dini and Andrea Nicolai, who applied the general concept of digital ecosystems to the ICT-based process of adoption and development. Products and services in competitive, highly fragmented markets like the European one. Elizabeth Chang, Ernesto Damiani and Tharam Dillon started in 2007 the IEEE Digital EcoSystems and Technologies Conference (IEEE DEST).
The digital ecosystem metaphor and models have been applied to a number of business areas related to the production and distribution of knowledge-intensive products and services, including higher education.  The aim of this study is to provide a set of objectives for the ecosystem (eg sustainability, fairness, bounded information asymmetry, risk control and gracious failure). These objectives are seen as desirable properties and their emergence should be fostered by the digital ecosystem self-organization.
- Information ecology
- Knowledge commons
- Knowledge ecosystem
- Media ecology
- Social system
- Web literacy (Understanding the web ecosystem)
- Jump up^ G. Briscoe and P. De Wilde. Digital Ecosystems: Evolving service-oriented architectures. In Conference on Bio Inspired Models of Network, Information and Computing Systems. IEEE Press, 2006.
- Jump up^ Zhu, Pearl (2015-01-21). Digital Master: Debunk the Myths of Enterprise Digital Maturity . Lulu Press, Inc. ISBN 9781483421544 .
- Jump up^ P Dini, N Rathbone, M Vidal, P Hernandez, P Ferronato, G Briscoe and S Hendryx. The digital ecosystems research vision: 2010 and beyond. 2005, European Commission
- Jump up^ E Chang, M Quaddus and R Ramaseshan. The Vision of DEBI Institute: Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence. 2006, DEBII.
- Jump up^ C. Fiorina. The digital ecosystem. 2000.
- Jump up^ D. Bennett. Digital transformation in the entertainment industry – embracing the fully digital ecosystem. Technical report, Accenture, 2006.
- Jump up^ World Economic Forum. Digital Ecosystem Community: Envisioning the future of the Digital Ecosystem.
- Jump up^ Damiani E., Uden, L, & Trisnawaty W.The future of E-learning: E-learning ecosystem. Inaugural IEEE Digital Ecosystems and Technologies Conference (IEEE DEST), 2007.