A data architect is a practitioner of data architecture , an information technology discipline concerned with designing, creating, deploying and managing an organization’s data architecture. Data architects define how the data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems.  It is closely allied with business architecture and is considered to be one of the four domains of enterprise architecture .
According to the Data Management Body of Knowledge,  the data architect “provides a standard common business vocabulary, expresses strategic data requirements, outlines high standards to meet these requirements, and aligns with business strategy and business architecture.”
According to the Open Architecture Architecture Framework (TOGAF), a data architect is expected to set architecture data, create models of data that enable the implementation of the intended business architecture, create diagrams showing key data entities, and create an inventory of the data Needed to implement the architecture vision. 
- Organizes data at the macro level (ie which subjects are managed in which goldensources)
- Organizations data at the micro level, data models, for a new application.
- Provides a logical data model as a standard for the goldensource and for consuming applications to inherit.
- Provides a logical data model for the creation of DQ rules.
Bob Lambert, Director of Data Architecture at CapTech Consulting firm, describes the skills of a Data Architect as follows: 
- Foundation in systems development: the data architect should understand the system development life cycle; Software project management approaches; And requirements, design, and technical tests. The data architect is asked to conceptualize and influence the application and interface projects, and therefore must understand the desirable outcomes.
- Depth in data modeling and database design: This is the core skill of the data architect, and the most requested in data architect job descriptions. The effective data architect is a cross-over of all phases of data modeling from conceptualization to database optimization. In his experience this skill extends to SQL development and even database administration.
- Bibliographic data and statistical analysis of the statistical data in the data-processing domain. While not necessarily full in all of these technologies, the data architect is the most widely used and most widely used.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture: When the data architect initiates, evaluates, and influences projects. The data architectures and the interfaces used to manage data, sets for data management, analyzes.
- Ability to astutely operate in the organization: A well-known and influential methodology, modeling, and governance, Technologically and politically neutral, Articulate, persuasive, and good salesperson, and Enthusiastic
- Jump up^ “Definition of Data Architect” . Techopedia .
- Jump up^ “Data Management Body of Knowledge” . Data Management Association.
- Jump up^ The Open Group Architectural Framework (TOGAF 9.1) . Chapter 10 – Data Architecture: The Open Group . Retrieved 1 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Lambert, Bob. “Skills of a Data Architect” . Captech .