Business informatics ( BI ) or organizational information is a discipline combining information technology (IT), informatics and management concepts. The BI discipline was created in Germany , from the concept of Wirtschaftsinformatik . It is an established academic discipline including bachelor , master , diploma and PhD programs in Austria , Belgium , France , Germany , Ireland , The Netherlands , Russia , Sweden , Switzerland , Turkeyand other countries in Australia , Malaysia or Mexico . BI integrates core elements from the disciplines of business administration , information systems and computer science into one field.
Business informatics as an integrative discipline
BI Shows Similarities to information systems (IS), qui est a Well Established discipline Originating from North America . However, there are a few differences that make business informatics a unique own discipline:
- Business informatics includes information technology , like a computer program .
- Business informatics includes significant construction and implementation oriented elements. Ie one major focus in the development of solutions for business problems rather than the ex post investigation of their impact.
Information systems (IS) focuses on empirically explaining phenomena of the real world. “Dominated-oriented” focus in contrast to the “solution-oriented” focus that dominates BI. IS researchers make an effort to explain phenomena of acceptance and influence of IT in organizations and the society applying an empirical approach. In order to do this qualitative and quantitative empirical studies are conducted and evaluated. In contrast to that, BI researchers mainly focus on the creation of IT solutions for challenges they have observed or assumed.
Tight integration entre research and teaching Following The Humboldtian ideal is Reviews another goal in business informatics. Insights gained in actual research projects become part of the curriculum quite fast because most researchers are also lecturers at the same time.  The pace of scientific and technological progress in BI is quite rapid, therefore subjects taught under permanent reconsideration and revision.  In its evolution, the BI discipline is fairly young. Therefore, significant hurdles have to be overcome in order to further establish its vision. 
- Master of Business Informatics
- List of universities offering degrees in business informatics
- Jump up^ “Virtual Global University” . Archived from the original on 2007-03-03.
- Jump up^ Ives, B., J. Valacich, R. Watson, R. Zmud and et al. (December 2002). “What Every Business Student Needs to Know About Information Systems” . Communications of the Association for Information Systems . 9 .
- Jump up^ Lyytinen, K., R. Baskerville, J. Livari, D. Te’eni (2007). “Why the world can not publish? Overcoming challenges in publishing high-impact IS research”. European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS) . 16 : 317-326. Doi : 10.1057 / palgrave.ejis.3000695 .