Abbott Informatics is a subsidiary of Abbott Laboratories that develops and sells off-the-shelf laboratory information management systems (LIMS); Software solutions that manage the collection, processing, storage, retrieval and analysis of information generated in laboratories .
The company was founded by Itschak Friedman in Israel in 1986, was originally named Laboratory Information Management Systems, and developed laboratory information management system (LIMS) software called “Starlims”; The company itself eventually was renamed to Starlims.  By 2005 the company’s software was installed at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention .  The company Held icts IPO in the US in 2007.  Friedman served as CEO up to the company Was Acquired by Abbott Laboratories in 2009 for $ 123 million; At that time the company had 160 employees and most of its operations and sales were in the US, the UK, And Hong Kong.  By the time of the sale, Starlims was offered as a web application .  Abbott intended to fold Starlims’ product offerings into its other health information technology businesses to strengthen its clinical diagnostics business. 
In 2014 Abbott changed the subsidiary’s name from Starlims to Abbott Informatics.  
- Jump up to:a b Zalik, Nir (16 December 2009). “Abbott Buying Starlims Corp” . Haaretz .
- Jump up^ Gavison, Yoram (8 April 2005). “LIMS Boards String of Major Contracts” . Haaretz .
- Jump up^ Gelsi, Steve (May 4, 2007). “Starlims Tech files $ 37 mln IPO” . MarketWatch.com . Retrieved November 20, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Elaine, Meyer (December 15, 2009). “Abbott To Buy Starlims In $ 123M Cash Deal – Law360” . Law360 .
- Jump up^ “Abbott Informatics Europe Limited – Filing history” . Companies House . Retrieved 29 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Change of Name notice” . Florida Department of State Corporations Division. 30 May 2014 . Retrieved 29 May 2017 .