An Educational Management Information System (EMIS) is an educational institution. An EMIS is a repository for data collection, processing, analysis and reporting of educational information including schools, students, teachers and staff.  The EMIS information is used by Ministries of Education, NGOs, researchers, donors and other education stakeholders for research; Policy and planning; Monitoring and evaluation; And decision making.  EMIS information is used to create indicators  that monitor the performance of an education system and the management and distribution of educational resources and services.
The life cycle of EMIS information typically follows an annual process:
- Data Collection – survey instrument design, distribution and collection of data from schools
- Data Processing – organizing, processing, checking and cleaning of data
- Data Analysis – aggregation, calculation and interpretation of data
- Data Reporting – publication and dissemination of information
An EMIS is a key requirement for governments to monitor and evaluate their progress towards the Millennium Development Goals and Education for All targets.
While EMIS platforms vary in size, scope and capability most systems include the following standard modules:
- Schools / Institutions
- Students / Pupils
- Teachers / Staff
- Classes and Grades
- Enrollments and Graduates
- Buildings and Infrastructure
- Textbooks and Resources
Prodigy  is a web-based management system that caters multiple school location just from one platform.
A platform called OpenEMIS was conceived by UNESCO to be a royalty-free system that can be customized to meet the specific needs of member countries.
A commercial example of EMIS is GoSchool,  a project developed in Argentina.
SudoSchool  is a cloud-based management system that caters to School Management, Teachers, Parents / Students and Alumni through its various web based modules as well as mobile apps.
- Student information system
- Jump up^ L. Carrizo, C. Sauvageot and N. Bella”Information tools for the preparation and monitoring of education plans”, 2003
- Jump up^ Criana Connal. “NFE-MIS Handbook Developing a Sub-National Non-Formal Education Management Information System”, 2005
- Jump up^ UNESCO. “Education Indicators Technical Guidelines”, 2009
- Jump up^ “Prodigy School Management solution” . Prodigy .
- Jump up^ GoSchool
- Jump up^ “SudoSchool – School Management in the Cloud” . SudoSchool .