A data infrastructure is a digital infrastructure promoting data sharing and consumption.
Similarly to other infrastructures , it is a necessary structure for the operation of a society.
There is an intense discussion at international level on e-Infrastructures and data infrastructure serving scientific work. The European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) presented the first European roadmap for new, large-scale Research Infrastructures.    Computer Software  Computer Software  Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software Computer Software The e-Infrastructure Reflection Group (e-IRG) has proposed a similar vision. In particular, It envisions e-Infrastructures where the principles of global collaboration and shared resources are intended to encompass the sharing of the needs of all research activities. 
In the framework of the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) e-infrastructure program, e-Infrastructures are defined in terms of integration of networks, grids, data centers and collaborative environments. Delegation services, certificate services, training and help-desk services.  The Cyber Infrastructure Program, launched by the US National Science Foundation (NSF), is a collaborative, high-performance, and collaborative research project. 
More recently, the vision for “global research data infrastructure” has been drawn up by a number of recommendations for developers of future research infrastructures.  This vision document highlighted the open issues affecting data infrastructure development – both technical and organizational – and identified future research directions. Besides these initiatives, the European Commission promotes the INSPIRE initiative for an e-Infrastructure. 
- E-Infrastructures Reflection Group
- Hybrid Data Infrastructure
- Information Infrastructure
- Research Infrastructure
- Spatial Data Infrastructure
- What is data infrastructure?
- Jump up^ European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures. (2010). Strategy Report on Research Infrastructures. Publications Office of the European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/research/infrastructures/index_en.cfm?pg=esfri
- Jump up^ e-Infrastructure Reflection Group. (2010). Blue Paper. E-IRG
- Jump up^ Joint Information Systems Committee. (2006). E-Infrastructure Briefing Paper. JISC
- Jump up^ Cyberinfrastructure Council. (2007). Cyber Infrastructure Vision for the 21st Century Discovery. National Science Foundation.
- Jump up^ Thanos, C. (2011). Global Research Data Infrastructures: The GRDI2020 Vision. GRDI2020. www.grdi2020.eu
- Jump up^ European Parliament, Council. (2007, 3-14). Directive 2007/2 / EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 March 2007 establishing an Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (INSPIRE).